You must be spending hours on internet surfing websites and doing things of your interest. But, it is important to ensure safety of your computer and your private information while you stay online. I would like to discuss a few of the significant tips that will help you stay away from security threats, hacks and unwanted malicious activities on your PC.
- Do not use the same password everywhere: Yes, people tend to use the same password on several websites to make it easy for them to remember login credentials. Avoid doing this. Sometimes, it happens that you have the same email IDs on Gmail, Yahoo, MSN etc., only @gmail/yahoo/hotmail.com make them different. Using the same password creates a threat for all of your accounts being hacked if any one of them has already bee compromised. Try to use different passwords or try doing a bit of variations in the passwords. It will help you remember them easily, and will help to stay secure too.
- Do not click on unknown links: Most of such links are found in Junk/Spam mails. Sometimes, such links may be too tempting to avoid clicking. But make sure that you are not clicking any link which you are not sure of. Such links take you to a website where you might be prompted to download something, or at times, as you click on the link, an application may start downloading on your PC by itself. Remember, most of such spam mails intend to hack your mail account password or try to infect your computer with viruses or malwares secretly.
- Make a point to download applications from a secure website only: There are multiple websites today that host user-uploaded software. Most of such website owners do not keep a check on user-submitted files and they do not guarantee anything either. If you download from such websites, they always have the benefits, but you may be inviting trouble to reside in your PC.
- Keep an efficient anti-virus program: It is very necessary to have an anti-virus program on your computer if you stay connected to internet. The reason is that sometimes, you don’t even know that you have just downloaded a virus. Anti-virus programs that keep a check on everything that is being downloaded to your computer, helps you stay safe all the time. An anti-virus program that has real-time scanning option is a great way to ensure maximum protection of your PC. There are several such applications that will warn you with a pop up as you try to access a malefic website.
- Don’t disclose your personal information everywhere: It most happens while creating accounts with social networking websites, online shopping or membership based websites. You are asked to key in your personal details. There’s not that much of harm in giving your personal details like your address, name or even credit card information, but make sure that the website you are going to share your information with, is secure. How to ensure that the website is secure while making payments or entering address details? Well, it is not that difficult to note. A website that has security certificate is secure to process payments and personal information.
The URL of a certified website starts with https:// instead of just http://. S stands secure here. You can see a green tab just before the address field on such websites. If you notice this, it means that website is secure to shop.
Do you suspect your computer/laptop is infected with some malware or viruses? Don’t procrastinate, it might pose severe security problems; get in touch with us today. We offer high quality computer repair services to ensure maximum safety of your computers.