Pen drives are definitely the most popular external storage drive today that every one of us uses almost every day. The reason of this extent of popularity can be sought from the fact that they are very small in size and can be carried anywhere with much each. As the technology has advanced, the size of pen drives, I mean the storage size, has also grown larger. They are now available even in the size of 32 GB. It, of course, is enough space for storing our important data that we need to carry with us for any specific reason.
Besides having all these benefits of such flash drives, they are also known for uncommon and sudden failures. If your drive fails, you can hardly find a way to restore you files without taking the help of experts. A data recovery professional can be the only way out in such a case.
Never mind, prevention is better than cure. Today I am going to discuss a few ways to ensure proper maintenance of your external drives. Abiding by them all will help you make sure that you never have to lose your important files because of failures.
- Reduce the number of write cycles: Reading data from your flash drive does not affect its life, but when you copy a file or delete a file on it – also termed as Write Cycles – affects the life of your pen drive. If you could manage to reduce this frequency, it will increase the life span of your drives. Making a habit of not deleting anything from it unless it is completely full, will help you ensure this.
- Do not defragment: Unlike the normal drives on your PC or Laptop, a flash drive is not required to be defragmented. This is to note that pen drives do not have any slow or fast zones, which means your data kept anywhere will be read at the same speed. Defragmenting creates an additional write cycle and reduces its overall life.
- Safely Remove Hardware: When your mass storage media, like pen drive is plugged into your computer, you will notice an icon at the task bar in the notification area. When you are done using your drive, make sure that you have clicked that icon on the notification area and have clicked on ‘Safely Remove Hardware’. Why to do this? Well, when you plug in your external drive, your computer may create some caches so that your operation is made faster. Now when you do not remove your drive safely, the probability is that your applications like – cut, copy, paste, delete might not have been complete.
- Scan regularly: External drives are more prone to catching Trojan, Maleware and viruses, hence it is wise to scan your drive regularly.
- Store safely: Store your device safely. Don’t keep it in a place where there is much moisture, heat or cold. It can damage your drive.
If you follow the steps mentioned above, you can ensure the maximum life of your flash drives.
Don’t forget to post your comments as to how you liked this blog. Your comments are always encouraging to me.